Wimbledon 2022: Matteo Berrettini, last year's runner-up, pulls out of tournament after testing positive for Covid-19

Published on Jun 28, 2022 04:01 PM IST

Italy's Matteo Berrettini became only the second plater to withdraw from Wimbledon 2022 due to the coronavirus after Croatia's Marin Cilic on Monday.

Italy's Matteo Berrettini (AP)
Italy's Matteo Berrettini (AP)
BySports Desk

Eighth seed Matteo Berrettini, who had finished as the runner-up in last year's Wimbledon Championships, pulled out of the 2022 edition of the tournament on Tuesday after testing positive for Covid-19, he said on Instagram. The Italian became only the second plater to withdraw from Wimbledon 2022 due to the coronavirus after Croatia's Marin Cilic on Monday.

"I am heartbroken to announce that I need to withdraw from @wimbledon due to a positive COVID-19 test result.

"I have had flu symptoms and been isolating the last few days. Despite symptoms not being severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament.

Watch: Andy Murray copies Nick Kyrgios' serve for 'funky point' in Wimbledon

"I have no words to describe the extreme disappointed I feel. The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger. Thank you for the support," he said on Instagram.

Berrettini was set to play his opening Wimbledon 2022 match on Tuesday against Cristian Garin. The Italian has been replaced by lucky loser Elias Ymer.

Berrettini was among the title favourites in the tournament, where he headed on the back of a nine-match winning streak which includes back-to-back title wins on grass - in Stuttgart and Queen's.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Sunday, September 25, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals