Latest from europe
Dr Hans Kluge, European Regional Director of WHO, told reporters in Denmark on Tuesday that more than seven million Covid-19 cases were seen in the European Region in the first week of 2022.
Published on Jan 11, 2022 10:32 PM IST
Written by Harshit Sabarwal | Edited by Sohini Goswami, New Delhi
- The continent has once again become the pandemic's epicentre in recent months, and is battling an upsurge of cases spurred on by the highly transmissible Omicron strain of the virus.
Published on Jan 02, 2022 10:39 AM IST
Proposing rules to decide whether gas and nuclear projects can be included in the EU "sustainable finance taxonomy", the European Commission attempts at acquiring “green” investment status for some nuclear projects.
Published on Jan 01, 2022 05:39 PM IST
Reuters | , Europe
Omicron infections are multiplying rapidly across Europe, the United States and Asia. Many nations are on high alert just days ahead of Christmas and New Year celebrations, as the latest health crisis also takes a toll on tourism industry, which had just started to recover
Updated on Dec 21, 2021 01:15 PM IST
Reuters | | Posted by Zarafshan Shiraz, Sydney
- Many countries are re-imposing restrictions on everyday life amid rising infections. Here is a brief recap of what rules apply in the EU.
Published on Dec 21, 2021 09:55 AM IST
Deutsche Welle, Delhi
From a new lockdown in the Netherlands to travel restrictions targeted by several countries at the UK, Europe faces a critical week of decisions that could disrupt the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. In the US, Biden to warn the unvaccinated.
Updated on Dec 20, 2021 02:05 PM IST
Bloomberg | | Posted by Zarafshan Shiraz
With the world witnessing a rising tide of covid-19 variant, Omicron, several European countries have geared up for a December lockdown.
Published on Dec 19, 2021 04:30 PM IST
Written by Vanshika lohia | Edited by Meenakshi Ray, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Europe travellers are rearranging or cancelling trips because of tightening rules amid Omicron spread. Eurostar, which operates trains across the English Channel, sold out of tickets to France on Friday before new travel restrictions to and from Britain went into effect.
Updated on Dec 17, 2021 06:50 PM IST
AP | | Posted by Zarafshan Shiraz, London
At the German-Polish border - Mallnow metering point, saw a significant increment of gas exports, even after warnings by Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko of suspending natural gas supply from Minsk.
Published on Dec 15, 2021 01:53 PM IST
Reuters | , Moscow
- The European Medicines Agency (EMA) said more data is required to determine the severity of coronavirus disease (Covid-19) caused by the Omicron variant that was first detected in South Africa last month.
Published on Dec 09, 2021 07:43 PM IST
- Children represented 22.4% of the weekly reported cases of Covid-19 in the US, the report further said, pointing out that the Covid-19 cases among children have been significantly high for the past few weeks.
Updated on Dec 09, 2021 10:40 AM IST
Written by Shubhangi Gupta | Edited by Poulomi Ghosh, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
The ECDC said it has recorded at least 274 Omicron cases in 19 European countries. The agency added that there have yet to be reports of severe illness or death, but it’s still too early to draw conclusions from that.
Published on Dec 08, 2021 12:05 PM IST
- The Benin Bronzes, which are mostly in Europe, were stolen from Nigeria's Benin City during colonialism and are among Africa's most significant heritage objects.
Published on Dec 06, 2021 04:37 PM IST
Reuters | , Lagos
The bloc’s executive arm will also call on national governments to rapidly deploy booster shots and quickly implement proposals to limit the validity of the EU’s digital vaccine certificate to nine months without a booster.
Updated on Dec 01, 2021 03:16 PM IST
- Many countries are reimposing restrictions amid surge of the delta and omicron variants. Here's a brief recap of what rules apply in the EU.
Published on Nov 30, 2021 03:54 PM IST
Both these passengers, who tested positive for the Omicron variant, were asymptomatic and fully vaccinated. They are currently in isolation at a special health accommodation provided, the federal health department added.
Published on Nov 28, 2021 12:04 PM IST
Written by Joydeep Bose | Edited by Meenakshi Ray, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
- Apart from South Africa, Omicron has been detected in Israel in a person coming from Malawi as well as in Botswana, Hong Kong and EU member Belgium.
Published on Nov 27, 2021 04:14 AM IST
- Experts have warned about the “unusual mutations” in the new variant B.1.1529 that has been identified in 22 coronavirus disease (Covid-19) cases in South Africa.
Updated on Nov 26, 2021 04:12 PM IST
- The official death toll stands at 1,500,105 in a combined 52 countries since the first fatality was recorded in the region in February, 2020, the data showed.
Updated on Nov 26, 2021 05:02 AM IST
Cumulative reported deaths projected to reach over 2.2mn by spring next year: WHO sounds alarm
Updated on Nov 25, 2021 06:25 AM IST
Agencies | hindustantimes.com, Copenhagen/berlin
Anger surges against governments as they impose lockdowns, vaccine mandates and fines to control rising infections.
Updated on Nov 23, 2021 06:14 AM IST
Agencies | hindustantimes.com, The Hague
Brussels Airlines flight 102 was en route from Brussels to New York on Friday when pilots issued a "pan-pan" message, which indicates an urgent but manageable problem, less serious than a "mayday".
Published on Nov 21, 2021 10:59 AM IST
- Several European countries have tightened restrictions, with Austria announcing a nationwide lockdown, one of the most dramatic measures in recent months.
Published on Nov 21, 2021 09:19 AM IST
- "Russia has an interest in everybody in Europe finally coming to their senses and stopping considering Russia the culprit of all problems," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
Published on Nov 18, 2021 06:52 PM IST
On Friday, the Netherlands announced a partial three-week lockdown, western Europe's first since this summer.
Published on Nov 13, 2021 07:46 AM IST
According to the world health body's regional director for Europe, the continent is once again at the ‘epicentre’ of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Published on Nov 06, 2021 08:46 AM IST
The United Nations (UN) health body also said that new infections in the European region, which stretches as far east as former Soviet republics in Central Asia, witnessed an 18% spike over the last week - a fourth consecutive weekly increase for the region.
Published on Oct 28, 2021 08:36 AM IST
Written by Harshit Sabarwal | Edited by Amit Chaturvedi, New Delhi
Turkey's president has adopted a more moderate tone in his recent diplomatic spat with Western ambassadors. The expulsion of 10 envoys now no longer seems likely.
Updated on Oct 27, 2021 12:38 PM IST
- Many countries have eased restrictions on everyday life, making tourism possible again this autumn. DW Travel offers a brief recap of what rules apply in the EU.
Published on Oct 26, 2021 08:35 AM IST
, DelhiDeutsche Welle