Highlights: US President-elect Trump holds first press conference after win
US President-elect Donald Trump held a press conference on Wednesday, his first since he won the election two months ago.world Updated: Jan 11, 2017 23:12 IST
US President-elect Donald Trump said on Wednesday he is separating himself from his global business empire by transferring his assets into a trust and putting his two oldest sons in charge, an arrangement that watchdogs said was inadequate to prevent potential conflicts of interest in office.
At a news conference, Trump said he would resign from all positions overseeing hotels, golf courses and hundreds of other businesses to help ensure that he will not consciously take actions as president that would benefit him personally.
Here are the highlights from Trump’s address:
- Mexico has taken advantage of the US. The wall will come up and Mexico will pay for it .
- ‘Major border tax’ will be levied on companies that move their business outside of the US.
- Obamacare is a complete and total disaster. We will submit a plan to repeal and replace Obamacare as soon as health secretary is approved.
- I was offered $2 million to do a deal in Dubai. I turned it down: Trump on his no conflict of interest policy.
- I’m not releasing the tax returns because they’re under audit... The only people that care about my tax returns is the reporters... I won. I became president.
- Trump says he has always been aware of spying in hotel rooms in countries including Russia. And he warns people he travels with specifically about small cameras.
- If Putin likes Donald Trump, I consider that an asset, not a liability, because we have a horrible relationship with Russia.
- Intelligence agencies info being leaked is a disgrace. I think it was Russia behind hacking.
- I will be the greatest job producer God ever made.
- I have great respect for the news and great respect for freedom of the press.
10.10pm: Donald Trump will resign from all positions in Trump organization entities, Ivanka will have no further involvement with management authority, says Sheri Dillon, Trump’s tax attorney.
9.50pm: Mike Pence, the incoming vice president, says the media has attempted “to delegtimize this election”. He calls the publication of the Russia report was the result of “media bias and an attempt to demean the president-elect.”
9.45pm: Trump spokesperson Sean Spicer calls Buzzfeed’s decision to publish the Russia report “a sad and pathetic attempt to get clicks.”