‘Need more time to conduct in-depth probe’: China on blocking move to list Masood Azhar as global terrorist

A foreign ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said, “China’s stand is in line with the rules and procedures of the UN sanctions committee.
A statement issued by the external affairs ministry in New Delhi expressed disappointment at the UN’s Islamic State and al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee being unable to come to a decision on the move to sanction Azhar on account of a member placing the proposal on hold.(AP)
A statement issued by the external affairs ministry in New Delhi expressed disappointment at the UN’s Islamic State and al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee being unable to come to a decision on the move to sanction Azhar on account of a member placing the proposal on hold.(AP)
Updated on Apr 22, 2020 04:55 PM IST
Copy Link
BySutirtho Patranobis

China on Thursday said it put a technical hold on the fresh move to list Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist as it needed more time to “study” the matter but added that it was “sincere” about building better ties with India.

Earlier on Thursday, China blocked the latest international move to designate Azhar - whose group JeM claimed responsibility for the deadly Pulwama attack in February - as a global terrorist at the UNSC, allowing a major bilateral irritant with India to fester.

A statement issued by the external affairs ministry in New Delhi expressed “disappointment” at the UN’s Islamic State and al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee being unable to come to a decision on the move to sanction Azhar “on account of a member placing the proposal on hold”.

 Watch: ‘India and Indians are hurt’: Ravi Shankar Prasad on China’s veto on Masood Azhar

When asked about the reason for blocking the move initiated by the US, France and UK, foreign ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said China always carries out “thorough and in-depth” investigation of the applications to the UN sanctions committee.

Also read: Behind China’s move to block Masood Azhar’s listing, a strategic reason

“The UNSC 1267 committee has clear standards and procedures for designating terrorist organisations and individuals. China conducts through in-depth assessment of this application and we still need time. That is why put forward the technical hold,” Lu said.

“This is in line with the rules of the committee and China sincerely hopes that relevant action taken by this committee will help relevant countries to engage in dialogue and consultation and prevent adding more complicated factors into regional peace and stability,” he added.

“China will continue to adopt a constructive and responsible attitude and communicate and coordinate with all sides relevant to properly handle this issue,” Lu said.

Also read: UN members warn of ‘other actions’ as China blocks bid to list Masood Azhar as global terrorist

When asked about the state of Sino-India ties, Lu said Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Xi Jinping had met four times last year.

“President Xi and PM Modi met four times. Particularly, the Wuhan summit made great progress. China is full of sincerity and ready to work with India to build on the consensus of our leaders for greater progress in the bilateral relations,” he said.

“As for the technical hold, our action is to make sure that China will have enough time to study the matter so that relevant sides will have enough time for discussions and consultations to find a lasting solution,” Lu added.

“I said earlier that only a solution that is acceptable to all sides could fundamentally provide a chance of a lasting solution to the issue. China is ready to communicate and coordinate with all sides including India to properly handle this issue.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Community members gather to look at a tree that was destroyed during a major storm in Ottawa, Canada.

    Thunderstorm in Canada leaves eight people dead, utilities face power outages

    Quebec and Ontario power utilities are working to restore services to around 900,000 customers facing outages after thunderstorms caused severe damage and left eight people dead. A very strong line of thunderstorms developed near Sarnia, close to the border with Port Huron, Michigan, late Saturday morning and tracked northeastward over Southern Ontario. The dead toll rose to eight, the CTV News television channel said on its website Sunday citing police reports.

  • Anthony Albanese (Reuters)

    Australia swears in new Labor PM ahead of Quad meeting

    Australia's Labor Party leader Anthony Albanese will be sworn in as the country's new prime minister on Monday as he promised a "journey of change" vowing to tackle climate change and rising living costs. Albanese and Penny Wong in foreign affairs then head to Japan later on Monday to attend a key meeting of the "Quad" security grouping in Tokyo. Some predicted Labor might get enough seats to govern on their own.

  • Severed head of missing Nigerian lawmaker found in park: Police (Representational image)

    Severed head of missing Nigerian lawmaker found in park: Police

    Police in Nigeria have discovered the severed head of a state legislator who went missing last week in the southeastern state of Anambra, where the government accuses separatists of carrying out a spate of killings and kidnappings, police said on Sunday. The southeast, homeland of the Igbo ethnic group, is agitating to secede from the rest of Nigeria and the banned Indigenous People of Biafra group has been leading those calls.

  • Canadian Pacific freight train derails in Alberta, no injuries reported | Representational image

    Canadian Pacific freight train derails in Alberta, no injuries reported

    A Canadian Pacific Railway freight train carrying potash derailed east of Fort Macleod in southern Alberta on Sunday morning, the company said. There were no injuries reported and there are no public safety concerns, CP Rail said. The cause of the derailment in the western Canadian province is under investigation, the company said. "CP personnel have responded to the scene and recovery operations are under way," the company said in a statement.

  • Ukraine parliament (Ukrainian Presidential Press Office via AP)

    Ukraine parliament bans Russian war symbols

    Ukraine's parliament on Sunday banned the symbols "Z" and "V", used by Russia's military to promote its war in Ukraine but agreed to President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's call to allow their use for educational or historic purposes. An opposition member, Yaroslav Zheleznyak, announced the decision on the Telegram messaging app, saying 313 deputies had voted in favour in the 423-member Verkhovna Rada assembly.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, May 23, 2022