Indian taking siesta dies as fire devours office
An Indian businessman in Qatar died after a fire broke out in his office while he was taking a siesta.
Mohammad Fariz, in his 30s, was taking a short nap in his office in the Industrial Area of Doha when the fire broke out due to a short circuit on Tuesday afternoon.
According to local media reports, the fire devoured the entire office building before Fariz could escape.
Though firefighters rushed to the scene, they could not save him. His body was later shifted to the Hamad Medical Centre mortuary.
A resident of Doha for 14 years, Fariz was managing partner of Gurudex Building Materials Company and hailed from Paluvai in Kerala's Thrissur district.
The deceased's relatives told reporters that efforts were on to send the body to Kerala.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The panel also criticised WHO for dragging its feet at the start of the crisis, pointing out that the UN health agency had not convened its emergency committee until January 22, 2020.
- The Capitol Police in a statement said the lockdown was lifted and the fire nearby was contained.
- Law enforcement officials said there was no threat to the public and the fire was not believed to be a threat to the inauguration.