NHAI floats tender for Vijayawada-Bengaluru expressway, travel in 6 hrs: Report | Bengaluru - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

NHAI floats tender for Vijayawada-Bengaluru expressway, travel in 6 hrs: Report

ByYamini C S | Edited by Poulomi Ghosh
Dec 03, 2022 10:44 AM IST

The new expressway between Bengaluru and Vijayawada will reduce travel time between the cities to just six hours.

Frequent travellers between India's silicon valley Bengaluru and Andhra Pradesh's Vijayawada are in for good news. Work is all set to begin on the Vijayawada-Bengaluru expressway for which the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has invited bids. The expressway, also called the BKV (Bangalore-Kadapa-Vijayawada) expressway, will reduce travel time between the two cities by 50 per cent from 12 hours on the existing route to just 6 hours.

The six-lane expressway will be 342 kilometres long and cost around <span class='webrupee'>₹</span>19,200 crore.((Sakib Ali/HT Photo)(Image for representation))
The six-lane expressway will be 342 kilometres long and cost around 19,200 crore.((Sakib Ali/HT Photo)(Image for representation))

READ | Bengaluru to Mumbai, Pune in 7 hours, thanks to this new expressway

Unlock exclusive access to the latest news on India's general elections, only on the HT App. Download Now! Download Now!

The six-lane expressway will be 342 kilometres long and will cost around 19,200 crore, The Economic Times reported. The proposal for the project has been cleared promptly by Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari. The state government in Andhra Pradesh is all set to acquire land to begin construction.

READ | Bengaluru to Mumbai in five hours? Centre mulls green expressway

The NHAI is carrying out the project in 14 packages, of which it has invited bids for four, under the Hybrid Annuity Model (HAM). The model allows the NHAI to pay 40 per cent of the total expenditure, to be released in ten equal installments, while the remaining 60 per cent has to be arranged by the contractor.

READ | Bengaluru-Mysuru highway to reduce travel time to 75 minutes

The project is being constructed under Bharatmala Pariyojana (BMP) Phase-2, and connects Bengaluru with Andhra Pradesh's Rayalaseema area.

The expressway will also touch towns such as Kodikonda, Pulivendula, Mallepali, Vangapadu, Addanki, Chilakaluripet and Guntur. If all goes according to schedule, the expressway is expected to be opened for public use by 2025 - 2026.

Tell us what your First Vote will stand for in a short video & get a chance to be featured on HT’s social media handles. Click here to know more!

Stay updated with all the Breaking News and Latest News from Bengaluru. Click here for comprehensive coverage of top cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, and more across India . Stay informed on the latest happenings in World News.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, May 23, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On