Hope for KG Marg parking

If all goes well, finding a parking spot at Connaught Place is going to become easier for visitors as well as office goers.
HT Image
HT Image
Updated on Jul 28, 2011 11:33 PM IST
Copy Link
Hindustan Times | By, New Delhi

If all goes well, finding a parking spot at Connaught Place is going to become easier for visitors as well as office goers.

The New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) has sent a final report to the State Nodal Agency, under the National Monument Authority, asking it to let them start construction work on the proposed 13-floor multi-level parking lot at KG Marg.

Work on the parking lot had been stopped after the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) had directed the civic agency to stop the work. It had said that the construction violated the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958, since it fell within 300 metres of the ASI-protected Agrasen ki Baoli.

Last year, the government had passed an amendment to the Act envisaging a total ban on construction in the prohibited area of the monument.

“The SNA had asked us to send them satellite images of the exact distance between the parking lot and the monument. We have sent them those. Also, the parking lot falls within 210 metres of the monument which is a regulated area and not a prohibited area. Any form of construction is banned within 100 metres of the monument,” said a senior NDMC official.

The final report from the NDMC was sent to the SNA in July first week.

“This parking lot is an essential need of the area as a number of commercial complexes and offices are situated here. Moreover, the work order for this project was issued much before the Act was amended. Hence, we have requested that this project be given an approval,” added the official.

According to sources, as the project is based on the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model, the civic agency will have to face serious contractual claims.

“We are hoping that the ASI will consider it as it is a project that will benefit the public. We have provided all the necessary inputs they had asked for,” added the official.

The project was launched way back in 2007 and DS Construction Limited is in charge of the project. Work on the project had started in 2008, but had to be stopped after the ASI objected to it. Even soil testing work was stopped after the ASI intervened. After completion, the 6,219-sq ft parking lot was to hold 1,582 cars.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Neelam Pandey covers education sector and gender issues for Hindustan Times. She is a policy wonk with a keen interest in politics.

Close Story
SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, January 21, 2022