How 54 model schools in Delhi are making a difference
Ever since Class IX student Chanda’s school got a facelift, her joy has known no bounds. She is no longer greeted by the sight of dirty classrooms, flakes of paint peeling off of the walls.
Government Girls Senior Secondary School in New Kondli is among the 54 government schools selected as a model or pilot school. The AAP government plans to bring them on par with private schools.
These schools were selected after principals submitted proposals on how to improve their schools.
“My school doesn’t look like a government school any more. Ever since it became a model school, our teachers have become more attentive. My biggest achievement in the last year was becoming fluent in English. My parents are so proud of me,” says Chanda.
The government has taken several steps to bring about this drastic change in the school.
The dilapidated buildings have got a facelift and new classrooms have been built. “Clean classrooms and modern infrastructure helps boost students’ confidence. Parents also feel proud of the school. This is just the first of a series of steps to be taken to bring about this change,” said BK Sharma, principal, Shaheed Hemu Kalani Sarvodaya Bal Vidyalaya, Lajpat Nagar, which was established in 1948.
Most schools hope to finish the construction by December.
Teachers, students upbeat
Students said ever since the school turned model, teachers have become more responsible and focus more on teaching. “Our teachers are more attentive now. Even we feel we need to perform well now,” said a student.
Seema Roy Choudhary, principal, New Kondli girls school, said, “We teach both English and Hindi. We need to make sure students learn to communicate well. We hold many activities such as the mock Parliament session.”
The school has seen a jump in admissions from around 3,600 last year to over 4,000 this year.
Focus on extra-curricular activities
The directorate of education has started a special programme under which experts are teaching students music, dance (classical and contemporary), theatre, fine arts (including craft), creative writing, and photography.
“Students are coming to school regularly to learn these subjects. We have two batches of 50 students learning theatre and music,” said an east Delhi school principal requesting anonymity.
Some principals claimed even students from nearby private schools are enrolling in model schools.
“We admitted around 50 students from private schools. Parents and students are slowly realising they are getting facilities on a par with private schools,” said Meena Kumari, principal of Sarvodya Kanya Vidyalaya, Zeenat Mahal, Jafrabad. The school has around 5,000 students on its rolls.
However, many feel the changes are cosmetic, with the problem of teacher shortage has not been addressed.
“Who will plan these fancy activities for the students when there are no teachers. We have to teach three groups of students in every class. But there is no additional support,” said a teacher from a model school in west Delhi.
For more stories in State of School stories, click here
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- HTET Result 2020: Board of Secondary Education Haryana (BSEB) on Thursday declared the results of Haryana Teachers Eligibility Test (HTET 2020) on its official website -haryanatet.in
- Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) on Thursday declared the Office Assistant (Multipurpose) CRP- IX prelims exam results on its official website- ibps.in
- Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) on Thursday declared the results of office assistants (Multipurpose) preliminary examination 2020.
- National Testing Agency has extended the last date to apply for Common Management Admission Test (CMAT 2021). Earlier, the deadline was January 22 which has been extended till January 30.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) on Wednesday released the open round allocation list for INICET 2021. Candidates who have qualified for MD/MS/M.Ch courses can check their seat allotment result on its official website at aiimsexams.org
- Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) will declare the results of office assistants (Multipurpose) preliminary examination 2020-21 on Thursday, January 21.
- The online registration for the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) entrance exam will close on Thursday, January 21.
- The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on Wednesday announced the result of the Combined SO-Steno LDCE, 2015 exam on its official website- upsc.gov.in.
- RRB NTPC Exam: Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) will on Thursday activate the link to check RRB NTPC third phase exam city and date and to download free travel pass for SC/ST candidates. The link will be activated at 9 pm.
- The decks have been cleared for starting the recruitment process for filling 1,894 posts of principals and assistant teachers in 3,049 government- aided junior high schools across the state.