What you doodle says lots about you
If you thought random doodling or scribbling that you casually indulge in is just another pastime, think again. Body language experts and image enhancers believe that the doodle you scribble gives away subtle hints about your personality.entertainment Updated: Oct 21, 2011 02:37 IST
If you thought random doodling or scribbling that you casually indulge in is just another pastime, think again. Body language experts and image enhancers believe that the doodle you scribble gives away subtle hints about your personality.
There may also be a reason why you doodle a particular object frequently, say flowers or butterflies. Image enhancer Rita Gangwani explains, “Doodling is actually a way of ordering information inside the brain that allows the unconscious to render in symbolic expression. Symbols have universal as well as personal meaning.When one is stuck for an answer to a problem or looking for creative innovation, doodles will unleash the hidden symbolic powers of the unconscious mind. Our subconscious mind is attempting to contact usall the time and it comes to surface in the form of a doodle."
An expressing tool
Doodling is one of the best way of expressing your thoughts and can also indicate what’s going in the subconscious.
Body language expert Rachna K Singh says that location of the doodle is as significant as its shape. “People who doodle in the centre of the sheet are shy and a bit introvert, those who scribble at the top of the sheet are confident. Those who doodle on the right hand side are considered expressive. A doodle on the left side indicates there are feelings from the past.”
Size of the doodle matters
“Large doodles may be done by someone who is an extrovert and likes attention. Small doodles indicate someone who can focus well, has good motor coordination, and is reserved. Emotional people tend to doodle round shapes and curved lines. Down-to-earth and practical characters tend to use straight lines,” adds Gangwani.
Most common doodles
* Zigzags are a particularly common doodle and show energetic thinking and a desire to get on with things.
* Spirals, especially inwards, express a captured soul.
* Circles indicate a confused personality.
* Arrows if sharp and angular, the target is something important to his physical needs. An arrow piercing the heart with drops of blood shows the sorrow that’s clouding that person.
* Fluffy clouds show daydreaming or a strong sense of freedom. Angry, stormy clouds can indicate depression or difficulty in coping.
* Eyes often reflect the personality of the person doodling them. Big eyes have outgoing personalities and small ones are reserved.
* House indicates a need for security. A house on top of a hill suggests feelings of isolation and loneliness.
* Stars are drawn by an ambitious and a go-getter type. A cluster of small stars indicates optimism.
* If there’s one big, bold star, it shows a definite goal.
* Name is also doodled a lot. If someone doodles just the first or the initials of the name, it indicates a desire to break away from the family and do one’s own thing.
* Flowers with soft, round petals circled around its centre suggest an amiable, family-centric person with a gentle personality, a lover of nature, or childlike innocence. Roses with sharp thorns suggest that someone feels cheated in love or has lost his/her love.
First Published: Oct 20, 2011 17:38 IST