Avengers Infinity War India pre-sales break records, behind only Baahubali 2
Just a few hours after tickets for the highly anticipated Marvel Studios’ film Avengers: Infinity War went live on April 22, thousands of tickets were sold out. Not just this, the overall response to ticket bookings for the star-studded film has been “extremely encouraging” across formats. Not since the release of Baahubali: The Conclusion have pre-release sales been this high.
Twenty two superheroes, including Robert Downey Jr’s Iron Man, Mark Ruffalo’s The Hulk and Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange, and one big villain after six infinity stones -- Avengers: Infinity War is bringing the deadliest showdown of all time to the big screen on April 27 in India.
The off-screen Avengers army has assembled to grab the tickets to watch the epic on-screen battle.
“The response to ticket bookings for Avengers: Infinity War has been extremely encouraging across formats. And while, as expected, the craze for watching the film on an IMAX screen is huge, the sales have been remarkable even for the 3D format,” Ashish Saksena, Chief Operating Officer - Cinemas, BookMyShow, said in a statement to IANS.
“Given the huge anticipation around the film from fans, Disney opened the advance bookings on Sunday instead of Wednesday as is the trend and this turned out to be a rewarding decision.”
Echoing this, Rajender Singh Jyala, Chief Programming Officer, INOX Leisure Limited, said the advance booking response for the film is “outstanding across all their multiplexes”.
“We opened advance bookings on Sunday (April 22) morning and we sold over 40,000 tickets by 7 pm, which is the highest ever for any Hollywood movie and second highest advance of all time after Baahubali 2.”
Devang Sampat, Director - Strategic Initiatives, Cinépolis India, told IANS: “In one day of advance booking, we sold around 50,000 tickets which is history in the making.
“We have seen an amazing response for the 3D and 4DX formats. Occupancy of 4DX and IMAX is almost 75% in one day, according to advance booking, which we have never seen before.”
Talking about cities, Yogesh Raizada, Vice President, Wave Cinemas, told IANS: “Delhi/NCR has got an encouraging number of bookings. Being a metro city, it has more English-speaking gentry with lots of superhero fan following.”
“Avengers: Infinity War is one of the most awaited and anticipated Avenger movies. Since it’s a long weekend followed by Monday which is a Buddha Purnima and the next day is May Day, we are expecting to see an overwhelming opening. Kids are done with their exams and as they are the biggest target audience for this genre, we are expecting a huge crowd,” he added.
Will Captain America, who has already given up his shield, die or is it Iron Man’s turn to bid adieu to the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Many questions and spoilers have been floating around online.
But the makers of the film, helmed by the Russo brothers -- Anthony and Joe -- are doing everything in their power to stop its story from getting leaked. The directors even prevented the cast from reading the entire script. In fact, fake pages were handed out to some of them.
Marvel Studios’ 10th anniversary will begin with the release of Avengers: Infinity War, and everyone is excited to celebrate it.
“Time and again we have seen movies create history at the box office, but we have never before witnessed a phenomenon as such when a Hollywood film created such a frenzy with its advance ticket sales. It’s a testament of Marvel’s ever-expanding fan base, and the extraordinary buzz around the release of Avengers: Infinity War,” Kamal Gianchandani, CEO, PVR Ltd, said.
Avengers: Infinity War is set to hit 2,000 Indian screens in English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu on April 27.
Check out our full coverage of Avengers: Infinity War here.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.