Avengers Infinity War India pre-sales break records, behind only Baahubali 2
Just a few hours after tickets for the highly anticipated Marvel Studios’ film Avengers: Infinity War went live on April 22, thousands of tickets were sold out. Not just this, the overall response to ticket bookings for the star-studded film has been “extremely encouraging” across formats. Not since the release of Baahubali: The Conclusion have pre-release sales been this high.
Twenty two superheroes, including Robert Downey Jr’s Iron Man, Mark Ruffalo’s The Hulk and Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange, and one big villain after six infinity stones -- Avengers: Infinity War is bringing the deadliest showdown of all time to the big screen on April 27 in India.
The off-screen Avengers army has assembled to grab the tickets to watch the epic on-screen battle.
“The response to ticket bookings for Avengers: Infinity War has been extremely encouraging across formats. And while, as expected, the craze for watching the film on an IMAX screen is huge, the sales have been remarkable even for the 3D format,” Ashish Saksena, Chief Operating Officer - Cinemas, BookMyShow, said in a statement to IANS.
“Given the huge anticipation around the film from fans, Disney opened the advance bookings on Sunday instead of Wednesday as is the trend and this turned out to be a rewarding decision.”
Echoing this, Rajender Singh Jyala, Chief Programming Officer, INOX Leisure Limited, said the advance booking response for the film is “outstanding across all their multiplexes”.
“We opened advance bookings on Sunday (April 22) morning and we sold over 40,000 tickets by 7 pm, which is the highest ever for any Hollywood movie and second highest advance of all time after Baahubali 2.”
Devang Sampat, Director - Strategic Initiatives, Cinépolis India, told IANS: “In one day of advance booking, we sold around 50,000 tickets which is history in the making.
“We have seen an amazing response for the 3D and 4DX formats. Occupancy of 4DX and IMAX is almost 75% in one day, according to advance booking, which we have never seen before.”
Talking about cities, Yogesh Raizada, Vice President, Wave Cinemas, told IANS: “Delhi/NCR has got an encouraging number of bookings. Being a metro city, it has more English-speaking gentry with lots of superhero fan following.”
“Avengers: Infinity War is one of the most awaited and anticipated Avenger movies. Since it’s a long weekend followed by Monday which is a Buddha Purnima and the next day is May Day, we are expecting to see an overwhelming opening. Kids are done with their exams and as they are the biggest target audience for this genre, we are expecting a huge crowd,” he added.
Will Captain America, who has already given up his shield, die or is it Iron Man’s turn to bid adieu to the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Many questions and spoilers have been floating around online.
But the makers of the film, helmed by the Russo brothers -- Anthony and Joe -- are doing everything in their power to stop its story from getting leaked. The directors even prevented the cast from reading the entire script. In fact, fake pages were handed out to some of them.
Marvel Studios’ 10th anniversary will begin with the release of Avengers: Infinity War, and everyone is excited to celebrate it.
“Time and again we have seen movies create history at the box office, but we have never before witnessed a phenomenon as such when a Hollywood film created such a frenzy with its advance ticket sales. It’s a testament of Marvel’s ever-expanding fan base, and the extraordinary buzz around the release of Avengers: Infinity War,” Kamal Gianchandani, CEO, PVR Ltd, said.
Avengers: Infinity War is set to hit 2,000 Indian screens in English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu on April 27.
Check out our full coverage of Avengers: Infinity War here.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Critics Choice Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday. Nomadland bagged four awards while late Chadwick Boseman received a posthumous award for Best Actor for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and director Taika Waititi are currently filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Australia. A few photos and a video from the sets have leaked online.
- Chrissy Teigen took to Instagram to post pictures and videos from a recent night out with husband, singer John Legend, where she enjoyed some popular Bollywood music.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.