Fire breaks out at garment showroom in Ghumar Mandi
A major fire broke out at a garment showroom in Ghumar Mandi on Wednesday night. It is suspected that short circuit is the reason behind this fire mishap that caused damaged to articles and property worth crores, as per sources.punjab Updated: Jun 12, 2015 14:46 IST
A major fire broke out at a garment showroom in Ghumar Mandi on Wednesday night. It is suspected that short circuit is the reason behind this fire mishap that caused damaged to articles and property worth crores, as per sources.
It was learnt that the fire broke out Baba Papa store at around 11pm while it spread in the entire showroom within few minutes. The exact damage is yet to be ascertained.
A total of seven fire tenders were rushed to the spot, which took around four hours to douse the fire. According to the sources, there was a power cut in the area on Wednesday night and when the power was restored, fire broke out at the showroom.
It is required to mention here that the showroom had no fire safety arrangements according to the claims of fire brigade.
A fireman said, "Dense smoke engulfed the area and flames were coming out of the showroom. A huge amount of articles were gutted."
As soon as the owners and other shopkeepers came to know about fire, they reached there. The shopkeepers were also alleging that the fire tenders reached late, and they helped and supported firemen to douse the fire.
Assistant divisional fire officer Bhupinder Singh said, "The showroom had no arrangements for fire safety and it had no fire safety certificate."
Area resident Davinder Singh said, "It was difficult to breathe due to high smoke coming out of the building. Power supply also got affected in the area, and was not restored properly till morning."
Fire along boundary wall of SCD Government College
The wild grass near boundary wall of SCD Government caught fire when the storm hit the city on Wednesday evening. The fire brigade team doused the fire. Panic gripped the commuters passing through the road outside college.
Majority of buildings lack fire safety certificates
Most of the commercial buildings in the city have not obtained fire safety certificate from fire department, but the authorities concerned have failed to take required steps. Even the prominent hospitals and nursing homes have failed to fulfill the fire safety norms as per sources.
A fireman said, "Most of the commercial buildings and factories are violating the fire safety norms due to which, chances of fire remain high."
Assistant divisional fire officer Bhupinder Singh said they were looking into the matter.
First Published: Jun 11, 2015 23:12 IST