‘France among top targets’: What IS said in its statement
Here are five things we know from an English translation of the IS statement by the Site Intelligence Group, which tracks jihadi groups:Paris under attack Updated: Nov 15, 2015 10:51 IST
The dreaded Islamic State on Saturdayclaimed the attacksin Paris that killed at least 127 people, saying France will remain at the top of its list of targets.
Soon after President Francois Hollande described the attacks as “an act of war” organised from abroad by the IS with internal help, the terror group issued communiqués and audio messages in Arabic and French that said the assault was carried out by eight suicide attackers.
The statement called Paris the “capital of abominations and perversion” and said the attacks were carried out by eight “brothers” armed with guns and wearing suicide vests.
It singled out the football match and rock concert, calling it “perverse”, suggesting the targets were deliberately chosen.
It blamed France for a “crusade” against Muslims, both in its military operations against IS in Syria and Iraq and laws at home, and threatened more attacks in the future.
Here are five things we know from an English translation of the IS statement by the Site Intelligence Group, which tracks jihadi groups:
1. The attackers, “wrapped in explosive belts and armed with rifles”, targeted sites that were “accurately chosen” in the heart of Paris, including the Stade de France where a football match between the “Crusader German and French teams” was underway and where Francois Hollande was present.
2. The attackers also targeted the Bataclan theatre, where “hundreds of apostates had gathered”, and other areas in the 10th, 11th and 18th arrondissements or districts of Paris in a coordinated manner.
3. The attackers detonated their explosive belts after running out of ammunition.
4. France will remain “on the top of the list of targets” of the IS as long as it leads the campaign against the terror group.
5. The IS warned the assault in Paris is the “first of the storm and a warning to those who wish to learn”.
The IS also released an undated video on Saturday urging Muslims to attack France.
Full coverage: Paris under attack
First Published: Nov 14, 2015 17:24 IST