Italian court ends corruption case vs Berlusconi
A Milan court ended a corruption trial against Silvio Berlusconi today, ruling that the statute of limitations had run out on the case and essentially handing Italy's former premier another victory in a long string of judicial woes he has faced.Updated: Feb 25, 2012 22:07 IST
A Milan court ended a corruption trial against Silvio Berlusconi on Saturday, ruling that the statute of limitations had run out on the case and essentially handing Italy's former premier another victory in a long string of judicial woes he has faced.
The billionaire media mogul wasn't in court when the three judges read out their verdict after about two hours of deliberation. Defendants in Italy aren't required to attend their trials.
Berlusconi had denied any wrongdoing. He was accused of paying a British lawyer David Mills $ 600,000 to lie during two 1990s trials to shield the politician and his Fininvest holding company from charges related to his business dealings.
Berlusconi's lawyers successfully argued that the case should be thrown out because the statute of limitation had run out.
It is "useless to comment," prosecutor Fabio De Pasquale told reporters as he left the courtroom. Prosecutors had demanded conviction and a five-year sentence.
One of Berlusconi's lawyers, Piero Longo, indicated that the defense team was less than elated with the decision because it would have preferred a verdict of acquittal, Sky TG24 TV said.
The three-judge panel began its deliberations on Saturday after Berlusconi's defense made its closing statements, arguing that Berlusconi should be cleared of corruption.
Berlusconi, 75, stepped down as premier in November after failing to come up with convincing reforms to help Italy exit from the sovereign debt crisis. He had issued a statement Friday railing against magistrates for the "many trials" against him, and saying that he doesn't remember having met Mills.
"Mills was one of many lawyers abroad that occasionally worked for the Fininvest group. I don't recall ever having met him," Berlusconi said in that statement.
He added that Mills had received the $600,000 from an Italian arms dealer for some legal work and had made up the story that the money had been a gift from Fininvest employee, who had since died, to avoid paying a 50% tax on earnings.
By prosecutors' calculations, the statute of limitations on Berlusconi's case should have expired by July. Evidently the court didn't agree. But even the prosecutors' time frame would not have allowed for the two levels of appeal required to finalise any verdict.
First Published: Feb 25, 2012 22:05 IST