Simi Garewal applauds Kangana Ranaut’s bravery, says a ‘powerful person had viciously tried to destroy’ her career
Veteran actor Simi Garewal has called actor Kangana Ranaut brave for speaking against powerful filmmakers in Bollywood and their monopoly on their industry. Simi said in a series of tweets that she is feeling ‘depressed’ after hearing what happened with Sushant Singh Rajput and said someone ‘powerful’ tried to sabotage Kangana’s career as well.
Simi said she wasn’t as brave as Kangana to call out the one who wronged her. “I applaud #KanganaRanaut who is braver & bolder than I am. Only I know how a ‘powerful’ person has viciously tried to destroy my career. I stayed silent. Because I am not so brave...@KanganaOffical,” she wrote in a tweet.
Simi’s tweets came after she watched Kangana’s interview with Republic TV on Sushant’s death. “I don’t know what all of you felt after watching #KanganaSpeaksToArnab ..but it has left me quite depressed.. I’m distraught at what #SushantSingRajput endured .. and also what many ‘outsiders’ go through in Bollywood.. it must change,” she said. Simi hoped the actor’s death would bring an awakening in the industry. “When George Floyd was killed in America it set forth an awakening. In the same way #SushantSingRajput ‘s death maybe the harbinger of an awakening in Bollywood,” she wrote in her tweet.
Twitter users were appreciative of Simi’s support towards the cause. “More and more people are coming out and speaking up now. Sushant you changed India! You sacrificed your life for the good of India. You will be in our hearts forever. Everyone else is OUT OUT OUT OUT,” read a tweet. “It’s good to see you talk about this as well. You were a wonderful actress and it’s a shame if your presence on screen was reduced because of someone else’s act,” read another tweet.
In her interview with Republic TV, Kangana had said that she would return her Padma Shri if her claims about Sushant’s death were proven wrong. ““They (Mumbai Police) summoned me, and I asked them too, that I’m in Manali, that you can send somebody to take my statement, but I have not received anything after that. I am telling you, if I have said anything, which I can’t testify, which I can’t prove, and which is not in public domain, I will return my Padma Shri,” Kangana said. “I don’t deserve it. I am not that person who will go on record (to make such statements), and everything that I have said is in public domain,” she added.
Sushant died by suicide on June 14 at 34 years old. He was reportedly suffering from depression. His death has triggered a debate on nepotism and favouritism in Bollywood with many targeting powerful filmmakers and star kids on social media.
If you need support or know someone who does, please reach out to your nearest mental health specialist. Helplines: Aasra: 022 2754 6669; Sneha India Foundation: +914424640050 and Sanjivini: 011-24311918
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.