Cabinet nod for setting up six new IIMs across India
The Union cabinet on Wednesday approved the proposal to set up six new Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) across India. The cabinet meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The new IIMs would come up at Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh), Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Sirmaur (Himachal Pradesh), Nagpur (Maharashtra), Sambalpur (Odisha) and Amritsar (Punjab).
"These new IIMs will begin functioning from assigned temporary campuses and shift to their permanent sites after construction of their campuses is completed," IT and Communications Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad told the media after the cabinet meeting.
He said it was intended that the six new management institutes will commence their first academic session from 2015-16.
Each institute will start with an intake of 140 students in the Post Graduate Programme (PGP) courses, Prasad said, adding that the annual intake will increase to reach a level of 560 students each year by the end of seven years.
Admission to the post-graduate programme in management, which would be the flagship programme of these institutions, will be through the Common Admission Test (CAT) being conducted by the IIMs.
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his 2015-15 budget speech made a commitment to establish five new IIMs in Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha and Punjab.
In addition, the reorganisation of the state of Andhra Pradesh into the two states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana has necessitated the setting up of an IIM in Andhra Pradesh.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The results of Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) main 2021 first session exams were announced by the National Testing Agency (NTA) on Monday, March 8.
- JEE main results 2021: Candidates who have appeared in the JEE Main 2021 February session examination can check their results online at jeemain.nta.nic.in.
- The National Testing Agency (NTA) has announced the results of Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) main 2021 examination.
- JEE Main February result 2021: Once the results are out, candidates who have appeared in the JEE Main 2021 February session examination will be able to check their results online at jeemain.nta.nic.in.
- Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) on Monday, March 8 released the revised schedule for ICSE and ISC 2021 examinations
- Most of the top positions were bagged by girls.
- The Himachal Pradesh committee of the Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) will hold a statewide strike on March 9 for the appointment of Anganwadi workers in the pre-primary classes.
- On Sunday, teachers from different colleges also alleged that they have not been paid regular salary since 2019 and said that nearly 1,200 teachers at these colleges were finding it difficult to make ends meet.
- Jammu and Kashmir Board of School Education on Monday declared class 12 annual 2020 (Regular) Kashmir division results in which 82% students passed.