'Jodhaa Akbar not historically incorrect'
Director Ashutosh Gowarikar, whose opulent take on the golden era of the Mughal empire 'Jodhaa Akbar' has drawn the ire of Rajputs, today said he is willing to apologise to them if he has hurt their sentiments.
He however claimed the film had left the "Rajput pride intact".
The director of Oscar-nominated 'Lagaan' and critically acclaimed 'Swades' also refuted allegations that the film was historically inaccurate.
He said there were "many books" which showed that Mughal emperor Akbar was married to a Rajput princess named Jodhabai.
"If someone has been hurt or is upset because of 'Jodhaa Akbar', then I would like to apologise. I will also like to point out that the Rajput pride has been left intact in the movie," Gowarikar said.
Asked if the controversy would boost box office sales, he said on the contrary it could create doubts in the minds of audiences regarding authencity.
"If the subject appeals me, I will not hesitate to make a film based on history," Gowarikar said.
He also denied that any of the groups opposing the film's release in Rajasthan had contacted him and said he had made no attempts to do so either.
The film's joint producers UTV Motion Pictures meanwhile said issues related to revenue sharing had also been resolved.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shahid Kapoor and his glamorous wife Mira Rajput rocked the airport look on Tuesday. See their pictures here.
- Suhana Khan shared another picture with her friends as she partied in New York. Just a day before, she had shared another photo picture with her friends.
- In a special video for International Women's Day, Shweta Tiwari addresses her daughter Palak and remembers her own fight against domestic violence. Check it out here.
- In an interview with Hindustan Times, Sharib Hashmi talks about The Family Man season 2, the experience of working with Kangana Ranaut on Dhaakad and more.
- Rubina Dilaik cheered for Tony Kakkar and Aly Goni as the music video of Tera Suit released but did not tag Jasmin Bhasin. Rubina and Jasmin's relationship soured on Bigg Boss 14.
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Even though Prince Harry and Meghan Markle admitted to having watched Netflix's The Crown, the show's creator, Peter Morgan, had previously said that he has no intention of telling their story on the series.
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.