Mumbai security to be reviewed everyday
The decision was taken in the wake of the delivering of judgement by a special court in the 1993 blasts case.india Updated: Sep 12, 2006 21:29 IST
The security situation and force deployment in Mumbai will be reviewed on a daily basis as a special court on Tuesday began delivering its judgement in the 1993 serial blasts case.
"As the judgement comes in on a daily basis, we have to review the security measures and force deployment on a daily basis according to the situation," Joint Commisioner of Police (Law and Order) Arup Patnaik said in Mumbai.
He said the city police had been on alert since the July 11 blasts in commuter trains in Mumbai and the September 7 bomb attacks in Malegaon.
Patnaik said there could be no let up in security, particularly in the wake of the Navratri festival and ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramzan.
On the conviction of members of the family of Tiger Memon, the prime accused in the 1993 blasts, Patnaik said, "We were all hoping for this kind of a verdict which found them guilty. There is a sense of satisfaction especially for those who were involved in the investigation."
First Published: Sep 12, 2006 21:29 IST