Kidnapped boy back home, safe
In a major breakthrough, the Amritsar police recovered five-year-old schoolboy Harwanshbir Singh — who was kidnapped from near his residence in posh Ranjit Avenue here on Wednesday afternoon — from Guru Nanak Avenue late on Thursday night.punjab Updated: Aug 08, 2014 09:07 IST
In a major breakthrough, the Amritsar police recovered five-year-old schoolboy Harwanshbir Singh — who was kidnapped from near his residence in posh Ranjit Avenue here on Wednesday afternoon — from Guru Nanak Avenue late on Thursday night.
The city police, which had mounted tremendous pressure on the kidnappers through extensive search operations and raids at suspected places, got success when the kidnappers abandoned the boy in Guru Nanak Avenue locality near here.
The boy was found in physically fit condition, though his hairs were cut a bit.
Amritsar police Commissioner Jatinder Aulakh, who worked overnight with his team to tighten noose around the kidnappers through various strategic measures, handed over the child to his father Harpinder Singh and mother Navjot Kaur.
It was a festival-like environment at E-Block, Ranjit Avenue, as Harwanshbir had arrived there after spending more than 24 hours in the custody of kidnappers.
As the family thanked the Amritsar police, especially police commissioner Jatinder Singh Aulakh, the commissioner said: “The boy was recovered due to tremendous pressure mounted on the kidnappers. Ever since the boy was kidnapped, the Amritsar police was on their toes. The cops were working on various angles. The boy has been set free by kidnappers due to exemplar team work of the Amritsar police.”
When asked about future course of action in the case, Aulakh said: “Our priority was to keep the child safe. Now when the kid is home safely, we will go all out after the kidnappers. Each officer of the Amritsar police was emotionally attached in this case and treated the kidnapped kid of their own family.”
The boy was kidnapped minutes after he was dropped by a school van near his residence on Wednesday afternoon.
Earlier on Thursday, the city police had released the sketches of two suspects based on eyewitness’ account. They claimed that the sketches were 60-70% congruent with the suspects’ identity.
Intensifying their efforts, police had launched a comprehensive search operation in various pockets of the city early on Thursday morning, besides they worked on various theories to crack the kidnapping case, which had caused panic among residents.
First Published: Aug 08, 2014 08:41 IST