PUBLISHED ON FEB 24, 2021 01:44 PM IST
- The remaining Republicans are likely to be those most loyal to Trump -- which could help Trump-backed candidates get elected in primaries that often are decided by just a few votes.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 10:14 AM IST
- The insurrection at the Capitol, in which five people died, is just one of the legal cases shadowing Trump in the months after he was voted out of office. He also faces legal exposure in Georgia over an alleged pressure campaign on state election officials and in Manhattan.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 10, 2021 10:00 PM IST
- Democrats will be showing previously unreleased video footage from Capitol security cameras. Trump’s lawyers have said the he didn’t incite the riot and Democrats are using selectively edited footage, ignoring that he told his supporters to “peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”
PUBLISHED ON FEB 08, 2021 10:55 PM IST
- Scheduled to begin Tuesday, the proceedings are expected to diverge from the lengthy, complicated trial that resulted in Trump's acquittal a year ago. Under the terms being negotiated, it would launch first with a debate over its constitutionality, a key argument of the former president's defence.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 08, 2021 10:03 PM IST
- Donald Trump's legal team suggests that he was simply exercising his First Amendment rights when he disputed the election results, arguing that he explicitly encouraged his supporters to have a peaceful protest and therefore cannot be responsible for the actions of the rioters.
UPDATED ON FEB 03, 2021 04:46 PM IST
- Upstairs in the family residence, the bed is set for the president's youngest grandchild, Beau Biden Jr. The baby was born last year to Biden's only surviving son, Hunter Biden, brother of Beau Biden, the president's other son, who died of brain cancer in 2015 at age 46.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 02, 2021 03:57 PM IST
- Joe Biden seeks to fulfil a campaign pledge to dramatically reposition the US as a global leader following four years of a Trump foreign policy driven by an “America First” mantra. A policy marked by the frequent disparagement of democratic allies and the occasional embrace of authoritarian leaders.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 29, 2021 08:13 PM IST
- It is here, federal authorities allege, that Army veteran Jessica Watkins tended bar and recruited members for a local militia group that she founded in 2019 and affiliated it with the Oath Keepers — an extremist, militaristic group believed to have thousands of members nationally.
PTI, United Nations
PUBLISHED ON JAN 29, 2021 04:42 PM IST
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, addressing a press conference on Thursday following his informal briefing to the UN member states on ‘Priorities for 2021’, said he does not think “we can live in a world where too much power is given to a reduced number of companies".
PUBLISHED ON JAN 26, 2021 02:58 PM IST
'Their total lack of concern over getting caught and their friends' willingness to turn them in has helped authorities charge about 150 people as of Monday with federal crimes. In dozens of cases, Trump supporters downright flaunted their activity on social media on the day of the insurrection.
By Yashwant Raj, Washington
PUBLISHED ON JAN 17, 2021 12:39 AM IST
Democrats have alleged that rioters were given advance tours of the US Capitol ahead of the attack by some Republicans. How else, they have argued, could the rioters know their way around, reaching office rooms deep inside the building.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 12, 2021 10:36 PM IST
To make the case that Donald Trump incited the riot, prosecutors would have to show that he intended to provoke violence, but his words are vague enough that it’s possible to argue that he was simply urging his supporters to peacefully protest outside the Capitol.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 12, 2021 07:51 PM IST
“History will reflect on the good work that this president and our administration has done,” Mike Pompeo said Tuesday in an interview. “Those actions, the actual things that happened, will be reflected in a way that shows there was good work done on behalf of the American people.”
PUBLISHED ON JAN 11, 2021 10:02 PM IST
The bar association said in a statement that Rudy Giuliani’s words “quite clearly were intended to encourage Trump supporters unhappy with the election’s outcome to take matters into their own hands.", adding that it has opened an inquiry into whether Giuliani should remain a member.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 11, 2021 08:22 PM IST
Goldman Sachs will probably curtail donations to leaders who tried to block the election result, and Morgan Stanley similarly pausing its contributions to members of Congress who withheld certifying Biden’s win. Following in their footsteps are JPMorgan Chase and Citigroup Inc.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 11, 2021 07:27 PM IST
Captain Emily Rainey, a psychological operations officer, said she led 100 members of Moore County Citizens for Freedom, which describes itself online as a nonpartisan network promoting conservative values, to Washington to “stand against election fraud” and support Trump.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 11, 2021 06:05 PM IST
“Make no mistake about it, I absolutely condemn the violence that has occurred on our Nation’s Capitol. Violence is never acceptable,” First lady Melania Trump said in a statement released by the White House. Trump lamented the deaths and said she prayed for their families.
UPDATED ON JAN 11, 2021 02:20 PM IST
Describing last week's assault as an "unprecedented terrorist attack", Mayor Muriel Bowser said that Biden's inauguration on January 20 will require a "different approach" compared to past inaugurations.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 10, 2021 10:03 PM IST
The Justice Department on Friday released details on 13 defendants who were charged for their roles in connection with the Capitol riots. They included Richard Barnett, the Gravette, Arkansas, man who was photographed sitting at Pelosi's desk and is also known as Bigo.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 10, 2021 07:27 PM IST
In a "Dear Colleague" letter sent to Democratic members on Saturday, Pelosi wrote: "We will be proceeding with meetings with Members and Constitutional experts and others. I continue to welcome your comments. I urge you to be prepared to return to Washington this week."
By Bloomberg | Posted by Shivani Kumar
UPDATED ON JUL 28, 2020 08:47 AM IST
Thousands of demonstrators marched in groups around Portland, Oregon, some yelling “Feds go home!” in response to the Trump administration’s decision to send federal agents there in late June.