Baloch minister escapes attack
The federal minister for frontier regions, Sardar Yar Mohammad Rind, was attacked by Balochistan nationalists in Bolan district.world Updated:
A Pakistani minister in Balochistan province survived an attempt on his life when his convoy was attacked by suspected Baloch nationalists in Bolan district of the province.
The Federal Minister for Frontier Regions in Balochistan, Sardar Yar Mohammad Rind "was unhurt in the attack," the Dawn quoted a district official Nazi Khan Rind as saying.
The minister was going to Sibi from his native town of Shoran on Tuesday to attend a meeting. According to officials, the minister's convoy was attacked yesterday near Landow village of Sani area.
Pakistani officials suspect the attack was carried out by Baloch nationalists fighting against the Pakistan government for autonomy. The officials said exchange of fire between the armed men and the police continued for several hours after the area was cordoned-off by the security forces.
Rind said that the assailants were the same people who had attacked a security convoy in the same area about two months ago, adding that he suspected the involvement of some local people in the incident. A massive search operation in the area has been launched.
The news of the attack came even as Punjab Minister for Social Welfare Zille Huma Usman was shot dead by a man described by the police as a "religious fanatic" during a political meeting in Gujranwal on Tuesday.
Police arrested the accused, Maulvi Mohammad Sarwer Mughal, and seized a pistol with which he shot her dead.
The accused had been charged with killing four female models and injuring a dozen others some four years ago. He had been acquitted by a local court for lack of evidence.
First Published: Feb 21, 2007 16:49 IST