How to go the eco green way
Get a large bin in the house for recycling. Try to stash all the water bottles, paper cups, empty cans, etc, in the bin and see what all you can recycle and reuse later. Read more tips.entertainment Updated: Sep 10, 2010 02:28 IST
1. Recycle and reuse: Get a large bin in the house for recycling. Try to stash all the water bottles, paper cups, empty cans, etc, in the bin and see what all you can recycle and reuse later. Encourage kids to reuse the bottles and go slow on enviornmentally hazardous products.
2. Pot some plants: Have a small corner in your house as a herb garden. If space is a problem in the house, then just put a few pots in the balcony and try to grow your own vegetables. Normally, its easier to grow tomatoes, chilies and mint. Visit your local nursery to buy seasonal saplings that can sprout fresh veggies for you.
3. The paper trap: Try to pay as many bills possible online. Also, avoid taking unnecessary printouts. If extending an invitation, go for an e-invite or a telephonic invitation to avoid wasting paper. Also, if you need to print absolutely, print on both sides of the paper. Reuse paper for making a grocery list and other such sundry stuff.
4. Switch off to conserve: It’s a simple step, but often the most neglected one. Make it a point to switch off all the electronic appliances if you are not in the room. Also, in place of light bulbs, get energy efficient bulbs
5. Water reserve: Save water by using the shower on low intensity. Also, keep the taps closed while brushing your teeth. Use a mug to wash your face to stop using excess water. If there are any leaky faucets or taps, get them fixed.
First Published: Sep 09, 2010 18:35 IST