RGV refutes copyright violation charge
"I'm not the least bothered, because I know there's no truth to her claim. The writer of Rann is Rohit Banawliker. There can be a hundred takes on the media. I've made so many films on the underworld. Are they similar? Rann has nothing to do with this lady's idea," Varma said.
Mehta has filed a case in Bombay High Court claiming breach of confidential information and infringement of her copyright in the literary work, including screenplay and script.
"I first want to ask Sonal Mehta one thing: why has she waited till just a little more than one week before the release of Rann to make her claim? And secondly, has she seen even one frame of Rann to decide the screenplay is similar to her idea?"
Releasing January 29, the film has Amitabh Bachchan as a media mogul fighting for survival. It is expected to show how the media sometimes has no choice but to corrupt itself if it is to be a money-making enterprise. Varma doesn't deny getting a story idea from Mehta.
"She was a part of my production house, The Factory, four-five years ago when I was making 'James'. She came to me with an idea for a film on the media which I didn't like much. Still I said she should try to get a leading man to agree to do the film if she wanted to direct it. I didn't like the names she came up with. And there ended the project," he said. The director says Mehta's claims came as a complete surprise to him.
"But only to the extent that I had completely forgotten her existence. However making such claims in the court days before release has become fashionable. This is her way of getting publicity. And I'm most happy if I can be of help," he said.
Rann producers Madhu Mantena and Sheetal Talwar intend to challenge Mehta's claim in court.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Even though Prince Harry and Meghan Markle admitted to having watched Netflix's The Crown, the show's creator, Peter Morgan, had previously said that he has no intention of telling their story on the series.
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.