7 foods to beat allergies in summers
Tired of the seasonal onslaught of allergies which zap the life out of you? Then incorporate these food items into your diet to combat the allergies.health and fitness Updated: May 10, 2016 09:07 IST
You wake up in the morning feeling all drowsy and when you look in the mirror, all you see is a red nose and puffy eyes, which make you look like a walking talking corpse. Seasonal allergies if not taken care of properly can create havoc in your life. So, to help you deal with allergies, with the help of an expert we have prepared a list of food which help you combat allergy outbreaks in summer.
1) Fish, walnut and flax seeds: These food items contain Omega 3 fatty acids which have anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce the risk of developing allergies. They also help to reduce allergic symptoms. Fish tends to be light on the stomach and is a good source of protein also, making it a good choice for the hot weather.
2) Onions, cabbages and pepper: Apart from preventing heat strokes these items contain quercetin, a flavoniod, which is antihestamine. Antihistamine foods prevent the body from releasing an allergic response. Onions, cabbage and pepper for ideal for consumption in summers.
3) Green Tea: For those of you who are allergic to dairy products then green tea is your answer to your day time tea cravings. Chamomile tea is a muscle relaxer, which helps to soothe your body in the heat. Its antihistamine properties with the antioxidants found in it are extremely effective against combating allergic reactions.
4) Oranges, kiwi, amla and tomatoes: Due to the extreme heat, our body’s immune system is more prone to allergic reactions. Oranges, kiwi and amla are rich in vitamin C and they also help to keep our bodies cool in the heat. Vitamin C, as you know boosts the immunity level to protect against allergies. Whereas, tomatoes contain antioxidants called lycopenes, which helps body fight against asthma.
5) Pineapples: Bromelain, a powerful anti-histamine enzyme is only found in pineapple. Bromelain reduces allergic symptoms such as sneezing and a blocked nose. Pineapple also contains powerful digestive enzymes which is imperative for a good digestive health. A cold glass of pineapple juice is perfect to beat the summer blues.
6) Pro-biotics: A good gut health is imperative to avoid any kind of allergies. Yoghurt and probiotic milk build up your stomach immunity and keeps your body cool in the summers. Fermented foods are always good choice as they are anti-inflammatory in nature.
7) Turmeric: Contrary to the notion, not all spices trigger allergic reaction. Turmeric is anti-histamine, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and analgesic which helps to cure allergies. Be it summers or winters, turmeric should be consumed throughout the year for those who have allergies.
Tips to keep in mind
1) Avoid spicy food as it can lead to an upset stomach which in turn leads to an outpouring of histamines.
2) One needs to be aware of what is the trigger of allergies. It could range from food, environment and temperature to dairy products.
3) Obesity also causes allergies, excess body fat leads to inflammation.
4) Stress and anxiety also cause allergic reactions as they indirectly lead to decreased levels of immunity.
Inputs by Kavita Devgan, Nutritionist
First Published: May 10, 2016 08:48 IST