Win some, lose some: Who gained, who didn’t in Modi ministry reshuffle
Controversial HRD minister Smriti Irani was moved to the low-profile textiles ministry and replaced by Prakash Javadekar after Prime Minister Narendra Modi rejigged his team and inducted 19 new ministers into his cabinet on Tuesday. Here is a list of who gained and who lost after today’s Cabinet reshuffle.india Updated: Jul 06, 2016 08:57 IST
Controversial HRD minister Smriti Irani was moved to the low-profile textiles ministry and replaced by Prakash Javadekar after Prime Minister Narendra Modi rejigged his team and inducted 19 new ministers into his cabinet on Tuesday.
Modi inducted the new ministers in an exercise aimed both at pleasing voters in states headed for elections next year as well as speeding up efforts to boost economic growth.
Here is a list of who gained and who lost after today’s Cabinet reshuffle
1) Ravi Shankar Prasad: He will now handle the crucial law ministry along with electronics and information technology.
2) Piyush Goyal: Apart from holding power, coal and new and renewable energy, Goyal now gets independent charge of mines.
3) Ananth Kumar: Apart from holding the chemicals and fertilizers portfolio, Ananthkumar now gets parliamentary affairs too.
4) Prakash Javadekar: The key portfolio of Human Resource Development is now with him, elbowing out Irani.
5) Manoj Sinha: From being the junior minister in railways, he has now independent charge of telecommunications.
1) Smriti Irani: She courted the maximum controversies and now she has been shunted to the low-profile textiles ministry.
2) DV Sadananda Gowda: From railways, Gowda had been earlier shifted to law ministry. But his downslide continues as in the latest reshuffle, he has been shunted to statistics and programme implementation ministry.
3) Jayant Sinha: From the all-important finance ministry, junior minister Sinha has gone to civil aviation.
4) Ch. Birender Singh: At a time when Modi government is focusing on rural sector, Singh has been shunted to steel.
5) VK Singh: The independent charge of statistics and programme implementation ministry has been taken away and Singh is left being only a junior minister in external affairs.
First Published: Jul 05, 2016 22:54 IST