Kejriwal in jail, AAP to launch contact programme
The Aam Aadmi Party on Thursday decided to launch a door-to-door contact programme to apprise people about the circumstances leading to party chief Arvind Kejriwal's arrest in a criminal defamation case instead of holding protest against it.
The decision was taken at a meeting a number of AAP leaders had with Kejriwal at the Tihar Jail this morning where the former chief minister has been lodged since yesterday.
"We had a meeting with Arvind Kejriwal during which it was decided that the party won't protest anymore and would launch a door-to-door campaign and tell people how a honest man like Kejriwal is behind the bars," senior AAP leader Ashutosh told PTI.
Scores of AAP workers had clashed with police last night outside Tihar Jail protesting arrest of Kejriwal.
59 protesters, including senior leaders Yogendra Yadav, Manish Sisodia and Rakhi Birla, were arrested by police for violating prohibitory orders.
Asked about Kejriwal, he said the AAP chief has been kept in the 'Vipasana' cell and was fine.
Kejriwal's wife Sunita, who carried clothes and medicines to him this morning, said, "He is not a criminal. Why should he pay money when he is ready to give an undertaking." The AAP leader was sent to Tihar Jail till May 23 by Delhi court yesterday after he refused to furnish bail bond in a criminal defamation complaint filed against him by BJP leader Nitin Gadkari.
Sunita also criticised the media for calling her husband's action 'drama'. "It is wrong the way media is presenting the entire episode."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Those entering India can be granted refugee status, but they will be deported if the government decides against it
- The 50-odd pages document, anchored by the national security adviser’s office, is now awaiting the approval from the Prime Minister’s office before it is released.
- Delhi, which gave shots to 1,679 people per million population in the second phase till Wednesday night, was in the second spot, while Odisha (1,283 doses per million) was third
- The scenes that caused offence have since been deleted, and the makers as well as the OTT company have apologised.
- The medical fitness team of the Army tested close to 615 women SSC officers entitled for permanent commission, following the apex court judgment, on five counts: psychiatry, height, appendage (bone structure), physical and eye and ear.
- The EOL report has calculated its overall scores on the basis of four parameters: quality of life, economic ability, sustainability and citizen perception.
- Bengaluru, India’s technology capital, is an economic powerhouse on account of the presence of some of the world’s largest corporations.
- K Surendran, the state BJP president who made the original announcement claimed he was quoted out of context.
- The biosphere reserve spread over an area of 5569 sq km contributes 38% of the total protected area network in Odisha. It is also one of the oldest tiger reserves in the country having the largest zone of Sal trees.
- For the first time, junior commissioned officers (JCOs) and jawans are taking part in the top conference, as reported by Hindustan Times on Wednesday.
- According to the IMD's forecast, Friday and Saturday may see higher daytime temperatures that could rise to 39 degrees Celsius.