Miandad blames PCB for dope scandal
Former captain and coach says that players are showing a non-chalant attitude towards discipline in recent times.india Updated: Oct 16, 2006 20:49 IST
Former captain and coach Javed Miandad blamed the inability of Pakistan Cricket Board to enforce rigid discipline among players for the dope scandal to rock the country's cricket.
Pace bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif tested positive for a banned substance nandrolone in dope tests conducted by the Pakistan Cricket Board before the Champions Trophy and have been pulled out of the event.
"I have always said the Board should never compromise on discipline. Players have in recent years been allowed to do what they like and that is why we have had so many incidents which don't reflect well on our cricket," Miandad said.
The veteran of 122 Tests, who also coached the national team on three seperate occasions, said there had been numerous incidents in recent years on which the Board turned a blind eye to indiscrete behaviour from players.
"Nothing is bigger than the game. What has been taking place in recent times shows that players have a non-chalant attitude towards discipline. I am shocked at hearing about this latest scandal. It is very disappointing," he said.
Another former captain Rashid Latif said the Board deserved credit for having the guts to come out with the positive reports just one-day before an important match in the Champions Trophy.
"The Board has done the right thing. It was no use trying to hide the results of the tests they conducted before the tournament. But now they must try to find out the truth behind why these players tested positive for a banned substance and whether they took it accidentally or willfully," Latif said.
The outspoken wicketkeeper said this was not the first time the PCB had done its internal tests on players and this exercise had also been followed before the 2003 World Cup.
"Before that tournament we were all told to not even take simple medicine without consulting the doctors first. So, I don't understand how Shoaib and Asif landed doing such a stupid thing," he stated.
Rashid was one of the two Pakistani players tested randomely during the last World Cup. The other was opener Saeed Anwar.
National selector Iqbal Qasim said he was shattered by this latest controversy on the eve of an important event like the Champions Trophy.
"But perhaps it is good this has come out now from the Pakistan Board instead of the ICC. But definitely our players will have to show a lot of character now to put this behind them and do well in the tournament because we have lost our two main bowlers," Qasim said.