3 rail deaths in Vikhroli

Commuters stop services, irked over delay in building foot overbridge.

mumbai Updated: Nov 22, 2010 01:46 IST
HT Correspondents
HT Correspondents
Hindustan Times

An angry mob stopped railway services on the Central line for over two hours on Sunday following a series of mishaps between Kanjurmarg and Vikhroli stations.

Three persons were killed while one sustained injury while crossing tracks between the two stations. All victims were taken to Rajawadi Hospital where three were declared dead on arrival while one is under observation.

One of the deceased had been identified as Pachu Gupta, 18, a resident of Vikhroli (East), while the injured man is Kapil Ravi Das, 30. The bodies of two deceased are yet to be identified, the Government Railway Police (GRP) at Kurla said.

The commuters were protesting over the alleged delay in the construction of a railway foot overbridge at the Vikhroli level crossing. However, what an unorganised public gathering slowly tuned into a political tamasha as politicians from all leading parties came in with their supporters to claim credit for the rail roko. Prominent leaders MNS MLA Ram Kadam, NCP corporator Haroon Khan and Shiv Sena leader Sudhir More were seen at the spot.

“Over 200 policemen had to be deployed to avoid any law and order problem,” said Sanjay Shintre, deputy commissioner of police, zone 7. Shintre said the protestors were sitting on the railway tracks between 1pm and 3.30pm. There were minor clashes among rival groups and the police had to detain 32 people.

According to the GRP, the first mishap took place around 6.45am in which a 45-year-old unidentified man was run over by a speeding train while he was crossing the tracks.

Gupta was the second victim. He was crushed to death around 10.20am. Gupta, who was unemployed, would cross the tracks to go to his elder brother’s video game parlour in Vikhroli (West). “It was a part of his daily routine. Maybe he did not see the train or it was too late for him to react,” said Prakash, Gupta’s brother.

Das, the third victim, sustained leg and back injuries after he was run over by a train at 12.50pm. “I had stumbled due to a previous leg injury. But, I managed to drag myself away,” said Das.

The last accident took place at 1.10pm and claimed the life of a man in his mid-forties.

The Kurla GRP have registered a case of accidental death in all three case.

First Published: Nov 22, 2010 01:44 IST