hong kong government]
PUBLISHED ON JUN 12, 2021 12:38 PM IST
Agnes Chow, the 24-year-old activist, had been convicted together with her long-time activist colleague, Joshua Wong, for their involvement in an illegal rally near police headquarters during anti-government protests in the Chinese-ruled city of Hong Kong in 2019.
PUBLISHED ON JUN 11, 2021 11:34 AM IST
Authorities in Hong Kong have embarked on a sweeping crackdown to root out Beijing's critics after violent democracy protests convulsed the city in 2019. A new security law imposed by China has criminalised much dissent and strangled the democracy movement. Films are just the latest target.
PUBLISHED ON JUN 10, 2021 09:09 AM IST
A Hong Kong government advisory panel suggested the city could shorten hotel quarantine periods for some fully vaccinated inbound passengers, in what would mark an easing of some of the world’s strictest Covid-19 restrictions for travellers.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 29, 2021 01:27 PM IST
- This marks the second year that Hong Kong police have banned the vigil, citing coronavirus restrictions.
AP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal, Hong Kong
PUBLISHED ON MAY 27, 2021 02:20 PM IST
The new law empowers the city’s national security department to check the backgrounds of potential candidates for public office and a sets up a new committee to ensure candidates are “patriotic.”
AP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal, Hong Kong
PUBLISHED ON MAY 11, 2021 02:21 PM IST
Hong Kong officials initially proposed the mandate after a foreign domestic worker tested positive for a coronavirus variant in April, with an unknown source of infection.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 06, 2021 09:03 AM IST
The Hong Kong administration banned the vigil this time around, citing the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic, a first since 1990, but the district court heard that some 20,000 participants, including Joshua Wong, had still gathered on June 4, according to the South China Morning Post.
PUBLISHED ON APR 27, 2021 02:28 PM IST
- Staff and customers must have had received at least a first vaccine dose for the venues to open their doors
PTI | , New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON APR 18, 2021 11:07 PM IST
- The Hong Kong government's decision has come after 50 passengers of two Vistara flights this month were found positive for Covid-19 when tested on arrival.
ANI | , Hong Kong
PUBLISHED ON APR 10, 2021 03:27 PM IST
- Of the 10,242 arrested, 2,521 had undergone or were undergoing judicial proceedings, including 720 charged with rioting.
PUBLISHED ON APR 09, 2021 09:56 PM IST
Hong Kong: Customs officers on Thursday raided 25 shops belonging to the chain, AbouThai, and arrested a 33-year-old male director of the group, the government said in a statement.
PUBLISHED ON APR 04, 2021 12:02 PM IST
Under Hong Kong's new electoral reforms, the vetting committee would receive advice from the police's national security unit and a commission led by the chief executive and supervised by China.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 30, 2021 10:07 AM IST
- The measures are part of Beijing's efforts to consolidate its increasingly authoritarian grip over the global financial hub following the imposition of a national security law in June, which critics see as a tool to crush dissent.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 29, 2021 06:34 PM IST
Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan told a press briefing that local infections had come down considerably, giving the administration room to relax some measures.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 27, 2021 03:57 PM IST
- “We have been actively studying whether social distancing measures can be further adjusted if a certain number of people are vaccinated, and we will discuss with other regions whether we can mutually provide travel convenience to vaccinated tourists,” Lam said in an emailed release.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 24, 2021 03:01 PM IST
The suspension comes as the Asian financial hub has faced a sluggish take-up of vaccines due to dwindling confidence in China's Sinovac vaccine and fears of adverse reactions.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 15, 2021 02:40 PM IST
The two cases emerged during an "ambush lockdown" -- a tactic used by Hong Kong authorities to descend overnight on apartment blocks where they suspect there may be cases and test everyone inside.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 12, 2021 02:06 PM IST
Semi-autonomous Hong Kong is an internal Chinese issue that no foreign country has the right to interfere in, said Zhang Xiaoming, deputy director of the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office of the State Council.
UPDATED ON MAR 12, 2021 10:27 AM IST
Hong Kong was rocked by massive and sometimes violent pro-democracy protests in 2019 against Beijing's encroachment on its unique freedoms.
UPDATED ON MAR 11, 2021 01:23 PM IST
Critics say this will be one of the final nails in the coffin of Hong Kong's democracy movement.
UPDATED ON MAR 10, 2021 12:12 PM IST
- Hui on Wednesday thanked the Australian government for intervening so that he was allowed to travel from London to Australia this week on a flight that was repatriating Australian citizens.
UPDATED ON MAR 09, 2021 01:27 PM IST
Hong Kong’s top legal official warned residents to steer clear of criticisms of the government that stray too far from the facts, as officials defend Beijing’s plan to overhaul the city’s elections.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 05, 2021 01:10 PM IST
Wang added that the size, composition and formation method of the current election committee will also be adjusted, and that the chief executive will continue to be elected by the election committee.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 03, 2021 01:54 PM IST
Police issued a statement late Tuesday confirming the arrest of a 61-year-old man “after in-depth investigation by national security department.”
AP | | Posted by Ayshee Bhaduri, Hong Kong
UPDATED ON FEB 23, 2021 09:19 PM IST
- Carrie Lam said political strife and unrest in the city, including anti-government protests in 2019 as well as protests in 2014, showed there were always some people who are “rather hostile” to the central authorities in China.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 23, 2021 10:16 AM IST
Hong Kong’s median property price dropped slightly to 20.7 times its median household income in 2020, from 20.8 times the year prior.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 04:05 PM IST
Beijing needed to reform the city’s electoral system “to ensure that Hong Kong’s governance is firmly controlled by patriots,” Xia Baolong, director of China’s cabinet-level Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office, said in a speech Monday.
Reuters | | Posted by Prashasti Singh
PUBLISHED ON FEB 17, 2021 04:53 PM IST
He was arrested in an August raid by about 200 police officers on the newsroom of his Apple Daily, known for its feisty and critical coverage of China and Hong Kong.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 17, 2021 07:52 AM IST
Photos of the relatable, sly remarks have been shared thousands of times on social media, with retweets and comments from users in Hong Kong, the United States and elsewhere.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 05, 2021 04:00 PM IST
- The measures, announced late Thursday, seek to inculcate patriotism to kindergarten-age children through “story-telling, role-playing, drawing, singing, dancing and other activities.” Students as young as six will be taught to memorise offences criminalised by the national security law.