Indo-American doctor's hearing delayed
The hearing of an Indo-American doctor, whose diagnostic centre has been accused of a Hepatitis C outbreak in Las Vegas, has been postponed to next year.Updated: Aug 05, 2008 11:48 IST
The disciplinary hearing of an Indo-American doctor, whose diagnostic centre has been accused of a Hepatitis C outbreak in Las Vegas, has been postponed to next year.
The Nevada Board of Medical Examiners, which was scheduled to hold the hearing for the 58 year-old Dipak Desai in September this year, postponed the same after the Desai suffered a stroke which prevented him from "any meaningful participation".
The board said that the new hearing will be scheduled for February 24 next year and Desai's condition will be regularly monitored.
Desai's Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada was shut down by the city officials after health officials confirmed that six people had been infected with Hepatitis C and about 40,000 others have been told to get tested for infectious diseases because of the unsafe injection practices, which included reuse of syringes and medical vials.
The Indian origin doctor and his business partner Eladio Carrera, are charged with 10 counts each including malpractice, violating patient trust and exploiting the doctor patient relationship for financial gain.
Desai has already surrendered his medical license.