Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 12, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Alternative journalism courses

These short-term programmes can be pursued along with graduation report Vimal Chander Joshi

education Updated: Jul 14, 2010 10:24 IST
Vimal Chander Joshi
Vimal Chander Joshi
Hindustan Times

If you didn’t make it to BA Journalism (honours) in any of the five DU colleges that offer the programme, don’t get disappointed. There are short-term courses run by a few colleges in the varsity. One such programme is a six-month certificate course in journalism and mass communication offered by Bharati College, Janak Puri, one of only two women’s colleges in west Delhi.

The programme is quite comprehensive and covers six subjects: mass media and society, reporting and editing, video location production, electronic media, advertising and corporate communication, and web journalism and design. These subjects are taught by experts from the media industry as well as academia from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Jesus and Mary College and IGNOU, among others.

Admissions are on the basis of an entrance exam, followed by an interview. The entrance exam will test the students on language proficiency, general knowledge, media awareness, ability to observe and analyse, and creativity. Weightage for the written exam is 80 per cent while the interview accounts for the other 20 per cent.

Miranda House also offers two mass communication courses: electronic media and television patrakarita, and television journalism and photography. Both courses are two-month long and the eligibility criteria is having cleared 10+2. Applicants are shortlisted on the basis of an interview. Classes take place twice a week. Course details can be viewed at Miranda House’s official website,

Other colleges that offer mass communication courses include Jesus and Mary College (011-26110041, 26875800), Campus of Open Learning (011-24104037) and Kalindi College (011-25787604), among others.

First Published: Jul 13, 2010 15:04 IST