Make an informed choice
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2019-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Make an informed choice

Applying for a seat in Delhi University? Gauri Kohli gets you the answers to FAQs from the varsity’s Open House sessions

education Updated: Jun 05, 2012 14:07 IST
Gauri Kohli
Gauri Kohli
Hindustan Times

The Open House counselling sessions organised last week by Delhi University before it opened for admissions, were aimed at providing answers to FAQs on eligibility criteria, pre-admission forms, sports/ECA quota admission etc. Senior faculty members of the varsity such as Sushma Batra, head, department of social work, Veenu Wadhwa, Institute of Home Economics, Gurpreet Tuteja, deputy dean of students' welfare and the principals of various other colleges guided the students. The most important tip given to students by the experts was that they should make an informed choice before opting for a course or college. Here are some of the questions asked by DU aspirants during the open day sessions:

How do I know which college is better than others?
All colleges are at parity. The university has the same process of appointment of teachers, so the faculty is excellent in all colleges and courses. The question papers for exams are prepared by the university and the evaluation is not done by all teachers and it's not college-specific. Also, the syllabi for all courses are the same in all colleges. Moreover, one can find toppers from each college and discipline at the varsity every year.

Is it possible to migrate from the School of Open Learning to a regular college or vice versa?
Yes, but only in the second and third year. You can migrate from a regular college to the School of Open Learning and vice versa in the second and third year with same subjects and same course from November 30, 2012.

What if a science student shifts to commerce or humanities courses? Will he/she have an advantage or disadvantage?
It will be more of a disadvantage because you will be taken on higher cut-off than the commerce and humanities students.

What if I want to withdraw admission from the first list and want to go to the second list college of my choice?
You can always shift. You should first confirm your eligibility in the second list college. If you are eligible, then you should report to the admission committee. If they say yes, then you should go to the first list college where you have taken admission and cancel it. You will be returned your original documents either on the same day or within 24 hours.

What are the provisions of ECA and sports quota? Who are eligible to take admission as part of these?
The existing provision of not more than 5% sports and ECA quota (subject wise) will be continued. The colleges will be free to decide the actual number of seats to be filled on sports basis (not more than 5%) keeping in view the facilities available, requirement of the college and other relevant factors. For admission under these categories, the colleges may use sports/ECA application forms. These application forms shall be made available by the college.

Can one do BCom hons and CA together?
Yes. If you pursue BCom (hons) from the School of Open Learning, you can enrol in the CA course.

How should one choose a college and course?
There are certain parameters you have to keep in mind before deciding the college or course. For example, distance of college from your place of residence, you career, interests in the subject and percentage of marks. For any additional information, you can contact counsellors.

When do the admissions to the Non-Collegiate Women's Education Board begin?
Sale of handbook of information and receipt of application at the board's office will continue till June 19, 2012 (10am to 3pm) on all working days, from Monday to Friday.

Can one take admission to BA English (hons) through just CATE?
There are 21 colleges that will accept CATE scores for admission to the BA English (hons) course. Candidates may have to submit other forms, as required by the university, for admission to non-CATE colleges.

Can a student pursue two courses at a time from Delhi University?
Not in the regular format. But you can take up an add-on course along with your regular degree.

Where can a candidate submit the pre-admission form?
OMR forms will be available at 12 post offices and 10 colleges. The post offices will sell and receive forms from 10am to 4pm while colleges from 10am to 1pm. The admission information centres include Miranda House; Faculty of Arts (North Campus); Swami Sharadhanand College; deputy dean students' welfare office (South Campus); ARSD College; PGDAV College; Gargi College; Shyam Lal College; Rajdhani College, and Bhagnini Nivedita College.

Is the admission process different for SC/ST candidates?
For admission under the reserved categories of SC/ST/Person with Disabilities (PWD)/J&K Migrants/Children of War Widows, the admission process shall continue to be centralised and conducted at the university level by the respective departments.

Where can one register for candidates in the physically-handicapped category?
Physically-handicapped category candidates will be registered at office of dean, students’ welfare from June 4, 2012 to June 18, 2012.

First Published: Jun 05, 2012 14:01 IST