West beckons Bollywood talent
Bollywood talent seems to be carving a niche in the west. Composer Aadesh Shrivastava will record the duet King & Queen with Shakira, Santosh Sivan has received an offer to direct a movie based on Michael Ondantjee's latest novel and Salman Khan is playing the lead role in US-based director Willard Carroll's Marigold.
The list doesn't end here. John Abraham is paired with American actress Rachel Weisz in Deepa Mehta's Luna and Vishal Bharadwaj is in talks with Hollywood actress Uma Thurman to play the lead in a World War II epic.
Confirming the news, Bharadwaj told IANS: "Yes, Uma is in negotiation. The film will have other big actors from outside India.
"Blood Brothers, my short film on AIDS, is written by Matthew Robbins, who works with Steven Spielberg. It's time we in Mumbai stopped thinking only of NRI audiences."
Composer Shrivastava, currently in collaboration with American rapper Wyclef Jean for a fusion album, will now record a song with Shakira.
Speaking from New York Shrivastava said: "The track is ready. And it's called King & Queen. Wyclef and Shakira will do the prime vocals while I'll contribute alaaps and other raga-classical intonations right across the track."
Lately, a lot of American singers, especially rappers, have been adapting a lot of Bollywood music.
However, King & Queen will be the first track where an Indian composer-singer will be part of an original composition with two American pop artistes.
Earlier, Asha Bhosle collaborated with US singer Boy George and more recently with the US jazz quartet Kronos Quartet for a remix of R.D. Burman's songs.
For two years, ace cinematographer-director Santosh Sivan has secretly been in dialogue with Booker-winning author Michael Ondaatje, of The English Patient fame, for turning his last work of fiction Anil's Ghost to celluloid.
"It's true. But Anil's Ghost is a difficult book to condense into two hours on celluloid, especially since Michael is possessive about every passage. Let's see," said Sivan.
Sushmita Sen is also in talks with a prominent international filmmaker to direct her highly ambitious project Jhansi Ki Rani.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Nakuul Mehta’s wife Jankee Parekh revealed how her life has changed after the birth of their son, Sufi. She said that she is busy with mommy duties, leaving her little time for social media activities.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
- Gauahar Khan revealed her father has been admitted to a hospital. The actor took to Instagram and shared pictures of how her husband Zaid Darbar and in-laws are supporting her.
Birthday girl Sanya Malhotra: In my fifth year in Bollywood, it’s surreal, can’t believe I am living my dream
- Ayushmann Khurrana made sure to interact with his fans in Shillong by promptly coming down to meet them after they gathered at his Shillong hotel. Watch here