News updates from Hindustan Times: Cold wave likely to return in Delhi and all the latest news
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
Delhi: 4°C fall in temp from Jan 26, cold wave return likely, says IMD
After a brief respite, the capital is likely to return to cold wave conditions starting on Republic Day when the minimum temperature is likely to drop by 3 to 4 degrees Celsius -- the fallout of weather factors at play in the Himalayas and in the northern plains, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said on Saturday. Read more
India, China to hold ninth round of talks to resolve Ladakh border standoff
Indian and Chinese military commanders will meet for the ninth time on Sunday to discuss and defuse tensions in the eastern Ladakh sector along the Line of Actual Control (LAC). The corps commander-level talks will be held at Moldo on the Chinese side of the LAC, said officials familiar with the development. Read more
Bird flu: Avoid half-boiled eggs, undercooked chicken, says govt
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has urged people and food businesses "not to panic" and ensure proper handling and cooking of poultry meat and eggs for safe consumption. FSSAI has suggested precautions to be taken at retail meat shops and by consumers and those handling or processing poultry meat. Read more
Woman fighter pilot, Rafale jets and soldiers in masks: Key things to watch for this year's Republic Day parade
India is all set to display its military might during the annual Republic Day parade on Tuesday amid the unprecedented times of coronavirus pandemic. This year's parade will be unique as many things have been curtailed due to the pandemic while it will also witness many firsts, including the participation of country's first woman fighter pilot and a flypast with Rafale jets. Read more
Adjudicating during Covid pandemic: Judges weigh in
Decades after the 1975 Emergency, four judges of the Supreme Court on Saturday recalled how the Covid-19 pandemic presented a somewhat similar situation before the courts which had to adopt a much finer line of judicial review to scrutinise state actions that curbed fundamental freedoms of individuals without resorting to emergency powers. Read more
Ravindra Jadeja reveals dressing room discussion after Adelaide loss
India's defeat in the first Test against Australia in Adelaide was a hard pill to swallow for the team and also for the fans. Despite being ahead for most of the Test, the Indian batting order bowed down to the Australian pace attack on Day 3, getting bowled out for ju 36 (with Mohammed Shami getting injured). Read more
Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal wedding: Uncle Anil says 'this is the last marriage in our family' from actor’s generation
Actor Varun Dhawan is all set to marry his long-time girlfriend, fashion designer Natasha Dalal in Mumbai on Sunday. The wedding is scheduled to take place at Alibaug's upscale The Mansion House. Read more
SRK-Gauri Khan's Alibaug villa hosts Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal's wedding guests
The paparazzi and fans are on a frenzy as Bollywood hunk Varun Dhawan is set to tie the knot with fashion designer and childhood sweetheart, Natasha Dalal, on January 24 in an extremely intimate and private ceremony at the luxurious The Mansion House in Alibaug. Read more
ISS shares awe-inspiring pictures of Earth's aurora from space. Seen them yet?
International Space Station (ISS) often shares stunning pictures of the Earth taken from the outer space or images of other planets on their official Twitter profile. Just like these four images of the Earth's aurora they recently tweeted. The pictures have now created a stir among people. There is a high possibility that they will leave you mesmerised too. Read more
Bapu-Bangabandhu exhibition: Tracing histories of fathers of India, Bangladesh
The Bangabandhu-Bapu Digital Exhibition is part of events marking the 100th birth anniversary of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the father of the nation of Bangladesh, and the 50th anniversary of diplomatic ties between India and Bangladesh. Watch
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Addressing the concluding session of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) state president K Surendran’s “Vijay Yatra” in the state capital, Shah posed five questions to the CM.
- Addressing a state conference for its cadres on the outskirts of Trichy, Stalin said a DMK government will give ₹1,000 every month to housewives and create a million jobs every month.
- The meeting came a week after Tewari and other letter writers, the group has been tagged the G23, addressed a meeting in Jammu in honour of retired MP Ghulam Nabi Azad.
- In Tamil Nadu, the Congress is in alliance with the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagham (DMK).
- The observations from the Union health ministry come a day after the country reported the largest single-day increase in new Covid-19 infections in two months.
- Smriti Irani says, "I’m the only female politician who’s also recognised by her former vocation. I recognise the bias in that."
- An official said that both Houses could meet at 11 am from the second week following the vaccination of eligible MPs.
- A suicide note found at the spot said they took the decision because of acute financial distress, an official said.
- The changes have been opposed by some states who see it as another attempt by the Centre to take over mining auctions and impose central rules on a state domain.
- A re-invigorated biodiversity management policy is India’s survival strategy. At this point in our development trajectory, we don’t pay any heed to either biodiversity or landscape conservation.
- According to Forest Survey of India’s forest fire alert system, there were 2,317 fire points last year between February 26 and March 7, but the figure rose to 53,211 this time after data from the Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (SNPP) was taken into account.